Effective: January 6, 2020
Last Modified: December 6, 2019
This policy addresses collection, use of, and access to information that may be obtained through usage of the myColorado application (app) and any state services provided by it. This notice covers the following topics:
- “Personal Information” is information about a natural person that is readily identifiable to that specific individual. Personal information includes such things as an individual’s name, address, phone number, or email address.
- We collect no personal information unless you voluntarily participate in an activity that asks for information, such as by voluntarily giving us information through the app or by your direct contact with State of Colorado. If you choose not to participate in these activities (e.g., account setup, Colorado Digital ID™, online services, etc.), your choice will not affect your ability to use any other features of the app (e.g., website search, app notifications, etc.), but some additional information such as location or email address may be requested to improve the service itself (see “Information Collected” below).
- If personal information is requested within the app or volunteered by the user, state and/or federal law may protect it.
- Furthermore, the information contained in many kinds of official documents filed with the State of Colorado is electronically stored and may be made accessible to the public through the State of Colorado’s website.
- The app and related services are not aimed at nor intended for children under the age of thirteen (13). If you are under the age of thirteen (13), please DO NOT USE the app. myColorado does not accept registration from any minor under the age of a State of Colorado legally licensed ID holder. Some services in the app can be used without prior registration. If you are above the age of thirteen (13) and under the age of eighteen (18), you must obtain parental consent before using the app. No Personally Identifiable Information (as defined in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act [“COPPA”], 15 U.S.C. § 6501) is purposefully or knowingly collected from children under the age of thirteen (13) without verifiable parental consent. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under thirteen (13) years of age, and believe that he or she disclosed information to us, please contact us by sending an email to: myColorado@state.co.us. If we learn that we have collected or received Personally Identifiable Information of persons under thirteen (13) years of age without verification of parental consent, we will exercise commercially reasonable efforts to delete this information. Users are cautioned that unless reported, the collection of personal information unknowingly requested from or volunteered by children in the app will be treated the same as information given by an adult, and may be subject to public access.
- Use of many State of Colorado services requires you to provide a valid state-issued ID. As part of the state services that are provided in the myColorado app, we may request that you provide this information. This data is stored on state servers and in your user profile for re-use in the app for added convenience.
- Identity Verification - We use your device to verify that your state-issued ID is valid and in your possession .
- The app will request access to use the camera on your device to capture photos of your ID and a self photo (“selfie”). You have the option to deny access if you choose not to share this information.
- These photos are not stored on any state or vendor servers, nor are they stored on your device or in the app.
- Some other personal information may be requested or volunteered for use in the app.
- Email Address: We use this only for the communications to which you have opted in, as well as for account identification purposes.
- Phone number: We use this only for the communications to which you have opted in, as well as for account identification purposes.
- Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Last 4 Digits: This may be required by some state services provided in the app (e.g., driver license renewal) and is used only for purposes of verification comparisons to data already on file with the state agency providing that service.
- We may collect some information about your usage of the app. This information may include:
- The Internet Protocol Address and domain name used, but not the email address. The Internet Protocol Address is a numerical identifier assigned either to your Internet Service Provider or directly to your computer. We use the Internet Protocol Address to direct internet traffic to you.
- The type of browser you used.
- Information about the device you are using with the app, including its device ID (e.g., International Mobile Equipment Identity [IMEI] or other manufacturer number).
- The date and time that you interacted with the app.
- The webpages or services you accessed within this app.
- Location data is used only if you have agreed to its use.
- We may collect and use location information (such as your current latitude and longitude coordinates) that is provided by your mobile device or by you. This information is used to more efficiently provide you state services and improve the functionality of the app.
- The information we collect or store is used to improve the content of the app and to help us understand how people are using its services.
- You may request removal of the information stored within your Account Profile, including deletion of your account. To do so, send an email to: myColorado@state.co.us.
- We only use your information to communicate according to the preferences you have indicated in the app. Notification settings in the app and on your mobile device allow you to control notification or communication types, as well as the mode of delivery for the information (e.g., email, SMS, in-app notifications).
Information Shared with Third Parties
- Your information is never shared with third parties for commercial purposes nor allowed to be purchased by private individuals and entities. However, some information may be shared with third-party service providers for the purposes of completing activities within the app (e.g., banks and other companies, as needed, to process online payments). Information is also shared with the appropriate Colorado state agencies as needed to complete the governmental services fulfilled by the myColorado app. Finally, information may be disclosed as needed pursuant to any law, regulation, or court order, including, specifically, as may be required by the Colorado Open Records Act. Only the information you choose to share will be used and/or stored for continued use of those services.
Security of Your Information
The security of your Personal Information is very important to us, and the State of Colorado takes reasonable steps to protect the information you provide us from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We follow generally accepted industry standards to safeguard your information (oit.state.co.us/ois/policies). We have reasonable safeguards in place to protect your information, such as the following security measures:
- Encryption and Transport Layer Security (TLS) - We use TLS encryption when transmitting sensitive data in the app and its servers.
- Secure Storage - We take securing information seriously. We deploy physical, technical, and administrative safeguards that are in accordance with reasonable and appropriate industry standards to protect your Personal Information.
- Limit Employee Access - We limit access to your Personal Information to those employees who reasonably need access to such information to improve myColorado, provide you with related services, and process your information appropriately.